This should be the last installment of my cookie marathon as I am burnt out and because my electric bill must have exploded with the oven on all day for a week. I keep saying each cookie is my favorite but this one might as well be the one. They are a good mix of flavor, sweet and bitter, and textures, soft and crunchy. Guests seemed to be impressed and my mother in law’s Christmas party yesterday night. These thumbprints take a little more time to realize than a simple drop or icebox cookie but they are well worth it.
Chocolate Pecan Thumbprints
Sorry, I forgot the source :(
Makes : about 40 cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened alkalized cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, separated and at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups pecans, finely ground
- 7.5 ounces dark/bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- Approximately 40 lightly toasted pecan halves. (To toast pecans, spread on baking sheet. Bake at 350°F for 8 to 10 minutes or until toasted.)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray two baking sheets with vegetable cooking spray.
- Mix together flour and salt.
- Stir together cocoa powder and oil in small bowl until thoroughly blended, forming an even paste.
- Beat butter in mixing bowl until creamy, using electric mixer at low speed. Gradually add sugar and continue beating at medium speed for 1 to 2 minutes or until blended. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla and cocoa mixture. Gradually beat in flour mixture just until mixed, using low speed.
- Place ground pecans in small bowl. Place egg whites in another small bowl and beat with fork until frothy.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls. Coat each ball with egg white and pecans. Place on prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Using your thumb, press a deep indentation into center of each ball, making balls about 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until no imprint remains after touching lightly with finger. Remove cookies from baking sheets and cool on wire racks.
- Fill the cookies : Melt the chocolate in a bain marie. Stir until smooth and let cool. Fill each cookie with melted chocolate. Let stand for 5 minutes and then place a pecan half in the center. Let the chocolate Harden and the cookies cool on a wire rack.